Tuesday, October 9, 2018

TOP FIVE LESSONS LEARNED


It's said that a mother's work is never done. That's true for most moms. We want our children to be well-rounded, educated, respectable human beings and we work hard to help that happen. I nurtured my son Jordan from a young man to an accomplished adult.
He is now a free agent with the National Football League (NFL) and a graduate of Texas A & M University. Raising kids is hard, and raising one to be a professional athlete and successful in life is even more demanding! Here are the top five things I learned along the way:

1.  Believe in your child's vision

One day when Jordan was 8 years old, we were on vacation at the beach. He was splashing around flexing his little muscles, when he suddenly announced, “Mom, I'm going to be an NFL player!” Shortly afterward, he started preparing himself for that career, running outside between two stop signs to gain speed and doing 200 push-ups a night in his bedroom. At the time, I didn't understand what he was doing, but he did. Find ways to help your child to be the best at whatever sport or endeavor he/she chooses, and become a student of the game. For me, that meant learning everything I could about the game of football.

2.  Be engaged at all levels

Sure, we all keep tabs on what our kids do, but I'm talking about a deeper level of engagement that starts early. Make sure all of the people in your child’s path know who you are and what your expectations are. Call, e-mail and engage with teachers, professors and coaches. Don't be afraid to let the people who influence your child know that you have set the bar high. Be bold as a parent! Do the unexpected! Stay visible! I have never missed one of my son’s games since he was in 8th grade. It has been challenging, but by having a consistent presence, you can really make a difference. I got involved with the NFL through programs and networking events and made it known that I am an advocate of my son’s success, on and off the field. As a result, even the presidents of the NFL teams my son has played for came to know my name and who I am.

3.  Emphasize the importance of education

It's impossible to overstate how crucial education is. I believe the saying "Knowledge is Power." I believe that moms set the standard for their children and in return, children perform to those expectations. Set expectations early. My main priority, first and foremost, was for my son to acquire an education. Academics were stressed throughout high school and college, and graduation was a firm goal. My son once complained about not having any free time. His father firmly told him, "Football is your free time!" In the end, Jordan completed his collegiate academic requirements in three and a half years, leaving him a semester to prepare his mind and body for the NFL draft. Likewise, Jordan has been preparing for life after the NFL since he began his professional career. As I told him the day he was drafted into the NFL, football is a means to an end, not the end.

4.  Build a strong network

It's not easy preparing your child for life as a professional athlete, and it's hard for others to understand the physical and emotional challenges a child faces in pursuing professional-level sports. Find other moms with children trying to make it to the next level. Call on them for advice and support. I believe that creating a mom network is vital. I did that at the college level and continue to do that at the professional level. I made it a point to get to know the players, coaches and front office. It isn't difficult. Just introduce yourself. It’s amazing the recognition you get just by being visible!

5.  Create memorable experiences

Create special moments and traditions together as a family. Some of our traditions even take place at the stadium. From the time Jordan was in high school, through college and now in the pros, the first and last faces we want him to see before and after the game are ours. On Saturdays, we have dinner in the city where he is playing. On game day, Jordan and his father walk the perimeter of the stadium together, and afterward, we pray together before he heads into the locker room. When the game is over, we are all there together, including our daughter. It's created wonderful, memorable experiences for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment